1909 was an historic year in aviation when French aviator Louis Bleriot made the first crossing of the English Channel in a heavier than air aircraft and Blackpool launched the worlds first official air show.
Since those early days Blackpool Air show has been at the forefront of family entertainment air shows, with exciting flying programs designed to appeal to all the family. The stunning Blackpool sands and iconic Tower make a unique backdrop to one of the north west’s finest air shows. The primary action takes place between North Pier and Central Pier.
Bigger and better than ever this year the show, which is a free event, will be held on two days, Sunday 10th and Monday 11th August 2pm to 4.30pm.
Natalie Wyatt, Managing Director of Marketing Blackpool, said:
“We are thrilled to be extending our free annual Air Show to two days.
This is always a fantastic family day out but for 2014 people can get not one, but two oportunities to witness these dazzling displays.”
The programme running order for the 2014 Blackpool Air Show is:
Sunday 10th August 2014.
- 1.00pm -1.20pm: The Red Arrows, will open the 2014 Blackpool Airshow with a stunning display. The world’s most spectacular and exciting flying team from RAF Scampton with Hawk T1a aircraft will wow the crowds once again with a spectacular display over the Blackpool seafront. Red Arrows display team website.
- 1.52pm – 2.00pm: Sea King search and rescue helicopter demonstration. The workhorse of air rescue.
- 1.52pm – 2.00pm: Pitts Biplanes
- 2.02pm – 2.10pm: R R Spitfire.
- 2.12pm – 2.20pm: The enigmatic Calidus Gyrocopter is next to tickle our fancy, quirky but great fun. Piloted by Peter Try-Davies visit website.
- 2.22pm – 2.31pm: The Tucano stationed at RAF Linton-on-ouse. Tucano is a propeller driven aircraft which is the primary, basic fast jet flying, training aircraft for RAF pilots of the future.
- 2.32pm – 2.42pm: Stunning acrobatics from the TRIG display team. “Pitts biplanes flown by highly experienced and skilled aerobatic pilots whose display offers all the smoke and noise of a modern air display act, coupled with the unbeatable character of the 1940’s designed Pitts Special biplane”. Trig aerobatics website.
- 2.44pm – 2.52pm: Xtreme
- 2.54pm – 3.09pm: The Battle of Britain Memorial flight with the iconic Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster visiting the skies of Blackpool. Visit BBMF website.
- 3.11pm – 3.28pm: Audacious, brave, daredevils. A pair of the Breitling Wing Walkers, the world’s only formation wing walking team with their beautiful Boeing Stearman biplanes. There will be a breathtaking sequence of formation loops and rolls, while daring wing walkers perform acrobatics on their wings! Wow! Breitling wing walkers website.
- 3.30pm – 3.38pm: For many military aircraft buffs the ear-splitting sound of the Vulcan bomber is a star turn. This jet-powered delta wing strategic bomber is without doubt the noisiest aircraft at any air show and a guaranteed head turner at Blackpool. The Vulcan’s, built for the cold war era, saw combat service in the 1982 Falklands war when 5 long range sorties were flown from Ascension Island to attack targets on the Falklands. The round trip of 12,600 Km took 16 hours to complete and required 11 air refuelling tankers.
- 3.40pm – 3.55pm: The RAF Falcons freefall parachute display team
- 3.57pm – 4.07pm: State of the art military aircraft technology closes the Sunday program with the RAF Typhoon, the worlds most agile aircraft. Witness an elite RAF front line squadron in action. Pilot Flight Lieutenant “Noz” Norris, RAF Coningsby.
Monday 11th August 2014.
- 2.03pm – 2.23pm: Sea King search and rescue helicopter demonstration launches the Monday air display program.
- 2.25pm – 2.40pm: The Battle of Britain Memorial flight with the ever popular Lancaster bomber, Supermarine Spitfire and Hurricane re visiting the skies of Blackpool with their unforgettable engine sounds.
- 2.42pm – 2.51pm: TRIG Team in their two Pitts Biplanes with a stunning display of aerobatics.
- 2.53pm -3.01pm: The enigmatic Calidus Gyrocopter is next, how these aircraft fly is fascinating, the rotor is free turning it is not powered, the rear facing propeller is the propulsion system, quirky but great fun.
- 3.03pm – 3.11pm:
- 3.13pm – 3.21pm: Pitts Biplanes
- 3.23pm – 3.32pm: The Tucano stationed at RAF Linton-on-ouse re visits for the Monday display.
- 3.34pm – 3.44pm: Huey helicopter.
- 3.46pm – 4.02pm: Two from the Brietling Team with their Boeing Stearman aircraft and daredevil wing walking ladies.
- 4.04pm – 4.19pm: The RAF Falcons freefall parachute display team.
- 4.21pm – 2.29pm: Xtreme
- 4.31pm – 4.41pm: State of the art military aircraft technology closes the 2014 Blackpool Air show with the RAF Typhoon displaying its cutting edge capabilities, the worlds most agile aircraft. Witness an elite RAF front line squadron in action.
Note that all the displays are subject to availability and suitable weather conditions on the day. The flying programme may therfore be subject to change without prior notification.
Stalls on Tower Festival Headland open from 10am.
Disney will be attending the event to celebrate the release of Planes 2: Fire and Rescue with an interactive fire truck, where visitors will be able to take part in fun and games, see exclusive preview clips from the film, and take part in the brand new augmented reality experience enabling guests to fly like their favourite Planes characters Dusty and Dipper.
This is a really exciting programme for the 2014 Blackpool Air Show and Blackpool anticipates welcoming tens of thousands of people into the resort for the two days.
All the aerobatic display teams we witness at Blackpool Air Show are breathtaking and this year’s display is sure to be a fly away success.
What do the visitors have to say? Barbara emailed:
Felt I had to write and say what a fantastic day out for all the family over two days and all for free!!
Blackpool doesn’t get enough credit.
Well done Blackpool!
Blackpool Air Display 2014! See you there.
Tower Festival Headland Promenade Blackpool Lancashire FY1 4BJ Tel: 01253 478222
This years Blackpool Airshow lineup can be seen here This years Blackpool Air Show program.
You may also like to see Blackpool festivals and events.