The Blackpool Air Show returns in spectacular style after the annual two day event was cancelled in 2020 and in 2021 due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Tens of thousands of visitors from across the county will be heading to Blackpool to watch the Blackpool Air Show 2022, and those that are attending are in for a real treat with many aircraft and display teams confirmed to appear for the 2022 air show.
The ever popular RAF Red Arrows will perform at 5pm on both days of the 2022 Blackpool Air Show, their first appearance in the resort since 2018.
The Red Arrows will display their astonishing aerobatic skills high above the seafront opposite the iconic Blackpool Tower. The Red Arrows pilots and team members will be doing some meet and greet sessions around the viewing area on the Tower Festival Headland.
The free two day Blackpool air Show will also feature thrilling displays from a wide range of military and civil aircraft including the Red Arrows, the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, Typhoon, Chinook, Muscle Pitts stunt plane, BAC Strikemaster and the AeroSuperBatics Wingwalkers and my favourite the Calidus gyrocopter.
The program for the Air Show weekend looks like this:
Saturday August 13 2022
- 2:10pm – RAF Eurofighter Typhoon.Visit RAF Typhoon display team website.
- 2:23pm – Supermarine Spitfire. Iconic British World War Two fighter aircraft.
- 2:35pm – AeroSuperBatics Wing Walkers. Our wingwalkers are seen live by over 6 million spectators each year in the UK alone. They perform a breathtaking sequence of acrobatic manoeuvres and handstands whilst strapped to the top wings of the team’s beautiful Boeing Stearman biplanes. The team pilots fly the aircraft through a well rehearsed energetic routine of dazzling aerobatics and close formation flypasts as the wingwalkers wave at the crowd. These manoeuvres include, loops, rolls, stall turns and even inverted flight! During all of this, the wingwalkers experience speeds of up to 150 mph and ‘G’ forces of up to 4G! Wing Walkers website.
- 2:56pm – Lancaster, Spitfire & Hurricane Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF).Visit the BBMF website.
- 3:17pm – Pitts Special Biplane high adrenalin aerobatics team Wildcat Aerobatics team website.
- 3:30pm – Aero L-39 Albatross. Military ground attack and jet trainer aircraft Aero L-39 Albatross.
- 3:42pm – RAF Chinook display team. RAF Chinook display team website.
- 4:00pm – Calidas Autogyro. The enigmatic Calidus Gyrocopter is next to tickle our fancy, quirky but great fun. Piloted by Peter Try-Davies visit website.
- 4:12pm – Fairy Swordfish Maritime biplane.
- 4:25pm – The BAC Strikemaster BAC Strikemaster website.
- 4:37pm – Trainer Formation.
- 5:00pm – RAF Red Arrows fast jets Red Arrows display team website.
Sunday August 14 2022
- 2:10pm – RAF Eurofighter Typhoon display team.
- 2:23pm – RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
- 2:44pm – BAC Strikemaster.
- 2:56pm – Supermarine Spitfire flypast.
- 3:08pm – Aero L-39 Albatross.
- 3:20pm – Aero Super Batics Wing Walkers
- 3:41pm – Fairy Swordfish
- 3:54pm – RAF Chinook helicopter display team.
- 4:12pm – Calidus autogyro
- 4:24pm – Pitts Special Biplane aerobatics team
- 4:37pm – Trainer formation flying.
- 5:00pm – RAF Red Arrows display team.
Organisers are advising visitors to get to Blackpool early as demand for the public car parks is expected to be exceptionally high.
As usual an overspill car park will be available at Blackpool Airport at the south end of the promenade, offering visitors a chance to park all day for £5 using the PayByPhone app. The car park is a short walk from the Starr Gate tram terminus, where people can take a tram to the air show village and veiwing area at Tower Festival Headland.
A Blackpool spokesperson said:
The Air Show is one of our biggest events, attracting around 100,000 people over the weekend. The much-anticipated return of the Red Arrows creates an even bigger draw.
We are thrilled that the Reds will be providing a breath-taking finale on both days. Anyone who has witnessed a Red Arrows display over the Blackpool seafront will know that it’s a photographer’s dream, so don’t forget your cameras – and please do plan your journey and arrive in resort early so you don’t miss a moment of the action.
Squadron Leader Tom Bould, Team Leader of the 2022 Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team and Red 1, said:
Displaying at Blackpool is always one of the highlights of any busy summer for the Red Arrows. With the Tower in sight and the wonderful coastline stretching out before you, Blackpool is a location which really excites you as a display pilot.
One of the key aims of the Red Arrows is to inspire people of all ages and backgrounds through a dynamic demonstration of teamwork and precision. This is another reason why Blackpool Air Show is a great event for us – it attracts tens of thousands of people, many of whom are families, and it’s wonderful to know so many are watching and enjoying our new display.
To complement the flying programme, there will be plenty to do and see on the ground in the Air Show Village on the Tower Festival Headland open from 10am each day with a wide range of stalls, attractions and food concessions . This summer (2022), the air show village is sponsored by the seafront family entertainment centre, Coral Island.
The air show can be affected by inclement weather and displays can be rescheduled or cancelled at short notice, if in any doubt about the air display or car parking in Blackpool contact the Tourist Information Centre telephone 01253 478222
Blackpool Air Show 2022! See you there.
Information on this years Blackpool Air Show here.
You may also like to see Blackpool festivals and events for information on other Blackpool entertainment.